Surround yourself with people who inspire and encourage positive change in your life. Build a team in which you can work together to support each other and build better lives.
– Avina Celeste
|Monday, October 7||No classes for HS and MS|
|Thursday, October 10||College Counseling Meeting for 10th-grade parents • 19:00|
|Thursday, October 10||TPA Autumn Aperitifs • 18:00, THE VIEW (Lugano)|
|Friday–Saturday, October 11–12||Family Weekend (registration form)|
|Wednesday, October 16||PSAT Test and Terry Fox Run|
|Sunday, October 20||TPA Fall Festival Brunch • 10:00–12:45, De Nobili|
|Wednesday, October 23||HS Parent Coffee • 8:30, Casa Fleming|
|Monday–Friday, October 28–November 1||Fall Academic Travel (some trips leave earlier)|
|Friday–Sunday, November 15–17||HS Fall Play: A Christmas Carol (reserve seats)|
Please refer to tasis.ch/calendar for a more detailed look at upcoming events.
Student Activities Offered this Weekend
This long weekend’s activities include a trip to Ponte Tresa for sushi or a pizza-and-movie night in the Snack Bar on Friday evening, a day trip to Milan on Saturday, a day trip to Como or a trip to Splash and Spa on Sunday, and trips to Foxtown or the Lugano Lido on Monday.
Weekend activities are open to all day and boarding students. Students should consult the HS Daily Bulletin for sign-up information and more details about each activity.
|October 10||Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. ISM||ISM||15:30|
|October 12||JV Girls Volleyball vs. ASM||TASIS||13:45|
|October 12||Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. ASM||TASIS||15:00|
|October 12||Varsity Boys Soccer vs. ASM||TASIS||15:00|
|October 12||Varsity Boys Volleyball vs. ASM||TASIS||16:15|
|October 12||Varsity Girls Soccer vs. ASM||TASIS||16:15|
|September 28||Varsity Cross Country • SGIS Championships||Recap|
|September 24||Varsity Boys Volleyball at American School of Milan||Recap|
TPA Hike & Lunch on Wednesday
The TPA invites you to join hike leaders Vittoria Marazzi and Francesca Varano on Wednesday, October 9, for a beautiful 90-minute hike—with a stop for lunch at Ristorante Vicania in Vico Morcote before heading back to the point of origin. Everyone is welcome! Come make new friends and join old ones!
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can reach you with any additional details! In the case of rain or bad weather, the trip will be canceled.
TPA Autumn Aperitifs: Last Chance to Register!
If you would like to join the TPA and other Middle School and High School parents on the outdoor terrace of THE VIEW Lugano for a relaxing aperitif on Thursday, October 10, please use the registration link below.
Final Reminder to Register for Family Weekend
Family Weekend will be held next weekend (October 11–12). Please use the link below to register for Family Weekend and see the full schedule of High School events.
Save the Date: TPA Used Uniform Sale on October 11
Fall into spectacular savings at the TPA’s Family Weekend Used Uniform Sale by the Monticello arches on Friday, October 11, from 14:45–17:30. All proceeds from this fundraiser will go toward events organized for our students.
Shuttle Schedule on October 11
Please note that there will be a few changes to the MS/HS shuttle schedule on Friday, October 11, as class schedules for MS and HS students have been adjusted to accommodate the start of Family Weekend. Please note the following:
- Shuttles for MS and HS students will depart at 14:30.
- MS and HS car riders will depart between 14:30–14:45.
- ES shuttles will depart at their usual time of 16:00.
- ES car riders will depart between 16:00–16:15 (as usual).
Winter Dress Code Begins on October 14
Starting on Monday, October 14, all students will be expected to follow the Winter Dress Code. Polo shirts will no longer be permitted, and all outer layers—including sweaters and coats—must have the TASIS crest. See the High School Student Handbook for more details.
Students who are lacking Winter Uniform items are advised to place an order with Unique Uniforms or stop by the TASIS Uniform Shop, which is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00–13:00 on the ground floor of Monticello (across from the vending machines).
Information about the PSAT on October 16
All students in grades 9–11 will take the PSAT at 8:00 on Wednesday, October 16. (Please note that 12th-grade and Postgraduate students will participate in a college/university application workshop instead of taking the PSAT.) In addition to giving students experience with a test many of them will take in the near future (the SAT), the PSAT helps students confirm that they are on track for university-level academics. Scores can also be used for class placement and AP readiness assessment.
Students will receive an email 2–3 days before the test explaining the specific location they should report to. Please remind your children to bring the following things on test day: two No. 2 or HB pencils, a calculator, their TASIS ID, and their very best attitude and effort!
Here are some additional resources students and parents may find helpful:
- Learn more about the PSAT 8/9 (for 9th-grade students).
- Learn more about the PSAT for 10th- and 11th-grade students. (Please note that TASIS does not administer the PSAT 10.)
- See the 2019–2020 TASIS Standardized Testing Recommendations/Schedule.
Save the Date: Halloween Brunch on October 20
The TPA will be sponsoring a Halloween Brunch for Middle and High School students on Sunday, October 20, from 10:00–12:45 and is looking for parent volunteers to help decorate Villa De Nobili, bake treats, and serve food. Please contact your TPA division coordinator or send an email to email@example.com if you would like to help out!
College Counseling News
- Date: Thursday, October 10
- Time: 19:00–20:30
- Location: Monticello 1
- Description: This informal program for parents of 10th-grade students will explain the overall college planning process and college counseling support and resources provided by TASIS. There will also be an explanation of the various curriculum choices available to TASIS students as 11th graders and the importance of proper curriculum choice to match and maximize each student's university options.
- Questions: Please contact Mr. Greg Birk, Director of University and College Counseling, with any questions.
A PDF of the PowerPoint presentation that was delivered at the 9th-Grade Parent Meeting on October 1 can be found here.
Upcoming College Representative Visits:
- October 15, 15:45, College Counseling Office: The New School, Parsons, Parsons Paris
- October 16, 15:45, College Counseling Office: Boston University
- October 21, 15:45, College Counseling Office: SBS Swiss Business School
- November 7, 15:45, College Counseling Office: Geneva Business School
- November 11, 19:00, Monticello 1 & 2:
- Suffolk University
- Suffolk University Madrid
- Webster University Geneva
- Franklin University Switzerland
- Richmond, The American International University in London
- Saint Louis University Madrid
- John Cabot University (Rome)
- City, University of London
- University of East Anglia
- University of Reading
- University of Essex
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- American University of Rome
- November 13, 15:45, College Counseling Office:
- November 27, 15:45, College Counseling Office: IE University
Standardized Testing Information:
- Please review the 2019–2020 TASIS Standardized Testing Recommendations/Schedule
- SAT test dates and registration deadlines for 2019–2020:
- November 2—Subject Tests ONLY, and please note that Language Subject Tests with Listening will not be offered again until May 2021 (Registration deadline was Oct 3)
- December 7 (Registration deadline: Nov 8)
- March 14—SAT ONLY/NO Subject Tests (Registration deadline: Feb 14)
- May 2 (Registration deadline: April 3)
- June 6—Subject Tests ONLY (Registration deadline: May 8)
- ACT test dates and registration deadlines for 2019–2020:
- October 12—Family Weekend (Registration deadline: Sept 20)
- December 14 (Registration deadline: Nov 22)
- February 8 (Registration deadline: Jan 17)
- April 4 (during Spring Holiday—test available at other testing centers)
- June 13 (school closed—test available at other testing centers)
- TOEFL Fall Semester test dates:
- October 19
- November 9
- December 7
- Registration information and instructions will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org when the registration period for each exam opens. TASIS is a closed test center, and a registration code is required.
Electronic Devices on Shuttle Buses
We have once again been made aware of some unfortunate behavior with electronic devices on our shuttles buses—including the playing of inappropriate music/video content at loud volumes—and would like to limit the use of these devices on the rides to and from school, which we consider to be an extension of the school day. (Please note that the use of mobile phones and other electronic devices is not permitted at meals or in the classroom.)
We understand that students may occasionally need to send a quick message home, and that kind of behavior remains acceptable. But we no longer want students to use their devices to play music or videos that other students can hear, take photos or videos of other students, or carry out any other form of inappropriate behavior. Our drivers have been instructed to take devices if they spot this kind of behavior.
We thank you for understanding and ask that you please have a quick conversation with your children to help us enforce this message.
TPA Water Bottles On Sale
To purchase a BPA-free refillable water bottle for CHF 30, please send an email to email@example.com. All proceeds will go toward TPA events organized on behalf of our students.