The Middle School Music Teacher will be responsible for all curricular and teaching activities, including leading extracurricular after-school subject-related activities of Choir, Ensemble, and Spring Musical.
Multi-instrumentalist; competent pianist and accompanist (good sight-reading skills essential); experienced choral and ensemble director; experienced classroom practitioner, particularly grades 6-8. Applicants need to be computer literate and comfortable using specific types of music technology software—in particular, Garageband, Logic Pro X, Sibelius, and Allegro Finale.
- To initiate innovative and practical teaching strategies and platforms suitable to the development and application of both music theory and performance practice throughout all areas of the Middle School music program.
- To prepare appropriate performance repertoire to serve all annual music-related events, such as Family Weekend, Christmas Service, International Week, Spring Arts Festival, MS Graduation Ceremony performers.
- To participate in and lead (where required) regular student performances, recital programs, cultural assemblies, choral and instrumental programs.
- To ensure that documentation of curriculum programs (ATLAS RUBICON) are current and up to date.
- To participate in appropriate professional/ in-service development programs.
- Be prepared to liaise and communicate with both ES and HS music staff specific to current developments in teaching practice, research, and literature.
- To liaise with the Department Chair and the Events Coordinator concerning special and external curricula activities and events connected to the music program.
- To research and be responsible for the supply of appropriate texts and additional resources to support the development of the curriculum.
- To liaise with the Department Chair regarding appropriate practices and procedures for common testing and assessment.
- To liaise with the Department Chair regarding the school’s reporting and disclosure procedures.
- To liaise with the Department Chair and Head of Lower school in the planning of timetable/scheduling structures that support curriculum programs.
- To research and supply equipment and resources necessary for the development of the practical MS music program.
- To attend all Departmental and Faculty meetings as and when scheduled.
- To effectively communicate with the Department Chair for any and all resourcing needs regarding expenditure from Department funds specific to the Music program.
- To comply with the school’s purchasing procedures and liaise with both the Head of Department regarding the expenditure of the combined music fund, in particular where it is concerned with after-school music activities.